September 8, 2009

Giving Encaustic a Try

Here are a few encaustic pieces I've been playing with this summer.


This was created using an image transfer (the polka dot pattern) and a graphite transfer (the drawing of the dress) I then painted the background with oil paints. I'm not sure if this is finished yet. I still might add more...

 

For this piece and the one below I layered colored wax and incised line into the wax with a plastic hotel key, pizza cutter and sewing pattern rotary marking tool. After creating the lines I added more depth to the piece by applying oil paint into the lines.


I took an Encaustic class this spring with a local artist, Margret Berry. I don't know if I have a future with encaustics. Maybe if I have a studio separate from the house someday I would work with it some more.

I really like the image transfer technique and can't wait to try it with acrylics!

No comments: